MEGAN'S LAW COMPLIANCE UNIT
District Attorney John T. Adams created the Megan’s Law Compliance Unit to assist local law enforcement and the Pennsylvania State Police, in their efforts to enforce compliance mandates on sexual offenders who reside in Berks County.
County Detectives assigned to this unit actively investigate incidents of alleged non-compliance, and prosecute these offenders when it is determined the offender failed to follow the provisions of the law.
If you suspect that an offender listed on the Pennsylvania State Police Megan’s Law Website is in violation of the law, please contact the Berks County Detectives at 610-478-7171, ext 6012. All information will remain confidential.
Offender Registration Requirements
- Offenders must register with the Pennsylvania State Police upon release from incarceration, upon parole from a state or county correctional facility or upon the commencement of a sentence of intermediate punishment or probation.
- Offenders are required to notify the Pennsylvania State Police within 48 hours of any change of residence or establishment of an additional residence(s).
- Offenders are required to notify the Pennsylvania State Police within 48 hours of any change of employer or employment location.
- Offenders are required to notify the Pennsylvania State Police within 48 hours of any change of institution or location at which the offender is enrolled as a student, or termination of enrollment.
- Offenders are required to notify the Pennsylvania State Police within 48 hours of becoming employed or enrolled as a student if the offender has not previously provided that information to the Pennsylvania State Police.
- Offenders are required to register with the appropriate law enforcement authorities in another state within 48 hours of establishing a residence in another state.
- Offenders convicted in jurisdictions outside Pennsylvania must register with the Pennsylvania State police within 48 hours of establishing a residence, being employed or becoming a student in Pennsylvania.
- The 10-year registration period shall be tolled when an offender is recommitted for a parole violation or sentenced to an additional term of imprisonment. (In such cases, the Department of Corrections or county correctional facility will notify the Pennsylvania State Police of the admission of an offender.)
- The occurrence of a natural disaster or other event requiring evacuation of residences shall not relieve an individual of the duty to register or any other duty imposed.
To contact the Berks County Detectives Call: 610-478-7171