Strength & Agility Screening Program
All Correctional Officer Applicants will be required to participate in a physical assesment screening program. Applicants will be notified of the date, time and location of the testing date.
A portion of the physical assessment screening is conducted outside regardless of weather conditions. We encourage you to wear/bring suitable clothing, including an extra pair of shoes.
To assist you in preparing for the strength and agility test, this notification has been prepared to describe the six separate phases of the test.
Listed below is a brief description of each phase and the appropriate requirement for each.
- Unconscious Victim Drag: You will drag a mannequin continuously for a distance of 90 feet.
- Response to Assist Call: You will have 30 seconds to run a short distance, key yourself through two gated doors, maneuver around furnishings, and then key yourself through a third gated door.
- Perimeter Response: You will have 2 minutes 45 seconds to complete 1/4 mile, approach a non-combative subject, direct him/her to "Turn around and cuff up". Then you must apply handcuffs to the wrists of the subject.
- Shuttle Run: You will have 90 seconds to run a total of (6) - 50 yard legs, while identifying and returning assigned colored items.
- Unconscious Victim Support: You will elevate a hanging 125 lb mannequin continuously for 1 minute.
- Stair Climb: You will have 40 seconds, wearing a 20 lb vest, to run up and down a flight of stairs 2 1/2 times, (a total of 100 steps). You are not permitted to skip steps or landings, you are permitted to hold the handrail for balance.
Applicants who pass the physical assessment test will be invited to stay for written testing, which will last about 3 hours.