DRIVING UNDER SUSPENSION/DUI-RELATED
If the defendant’s case is found to be IP eligible then an appropriate IP sentence will be worked out with the District Attorney’s office and the Adult Probation/Parole Department. The IP sentence will be based on the results of the drug/alcohol evaluation. The defendant will be advised of what IP sentence will be offered as soon as the Adult Probation and Parole Department receive the results of the drug/alcohol evaluation from the TASC Program.
All defendants who opt for IP will be placed on Intermediate Punishment for 90 days. The IP sentence will also include: 15 days in jail; 75 days of house arrest with electronic monitoring (defendant to pay $10 per day for em); 16 hours of community service; and may include drug/alcohol treatment in the form of either in-patient treatment, a halfway house program, intensive out-patient treatment, and or out-patient treatment. If the defendant participates in either in-patient treatment or a halfway house program, the period of time that is served in either one of these programs will be deducted from the 75 days of EM (with a minimum period of 30 days of house arrest/electronic monitoring). The defendant will also be sentenced to pay the mandatory $500 fine.
*Effective 2/1/04 the mandatory sentence for DUS/DUI-related (1543b,1) is 60-90 days in jail and a $500 fine.
Please be advised that the following conditions must be fulfilled in order to attain acceptance into the Driving Under Suspension/DUI-Related Intermediate Punishment Program:
- All fines, costs, and restitution for prior Berks County convictions must be PAID IN FULL.
- You may not be classified by PENNDOT as a Habitual Offender.
- Your criminal record may not contain any First Degree Felony convictions.
- You may not have been sentenced to Electronic Monitoring or House Arrest on any previous criminal dockets.
- You must complete 16 hours of Community Service.
- You must complete a DRUG AND ALCOHOL EVALUATION at TASC, and comply with all treatment recommendations.
- You must remit a MONEY ORDER made payable to Berks County Adult Probation in the amount of $750 for the fee associated with the electronic monitoring equipment.
- You must have an approved residence with working electrical service and BASIC TOUCH-Tone telephone service with no special telephone features.
Within three business days following a plea of guilty before the Magisterial District Judge, you shall contact Adult Probation/Parole Officer Jay Schmehl at 610-478-3400 x5403, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
to schedule an initial consultation to determine your eligibility, and initiate the process. You are required to bring a copy of your citation and the subpoena when you report to the Probation Office.