Welcome to the County of Berks
What if the Defendant Violates the PFA?
Button link to the Spanish version of this page
The plaintiff should call the police immediately (Dial 911). The police have the authority to arrest the defendant if they have reason to believe that the defendant violated the PFA Order.
When an arrest is made, a complaint for Indirect Criminal Contempt (ICC) shall be completed and signed by either a police officer or the plaintiff. When the complaint is filed by a police officer, neither the plaintiff's presence nor signature is required.
If an arrest is not made, the plaintiff may file a complaint in the District Attorney's Office for Indirect Criminal Contempt. A court hearing on the ICC will be scheduled. The plaintiff is notified of the date and time for the ICC hearing and is usually present to testify regarding the violation of the PFA. If the defendant is found in contempt of the PFA Order, he/she can be fined up to $1,000 and/or sentenced to jail for up to 6 months and may receive probation.