Welcome to the County of Berks
Child Abuse Physical

rashon marshall.jpg 

Rashon Marshall

On July 30, 2015, Berks County District Attorney Child Abuse Detectives initiated an investigation of the physical abuse of an infant female (DOB 02/15/2014).

At 8:35 a.m. on July 30, 2015, a 911 call was received by Berks County Communications from Rashon Marshall stating the victim was limp and breathing slowly. The call came from 415 South 16th Street, 2nd floor rear apartment, Reading. An ambulance from the Reading Fire Department EMS responded and the victim was transported to the Reading Hospital. At the hospital, medical personnel reported that the victim had anterior chest wall bruising, bilateral chest bruising and lesions, and a blood alcohol level of .06%.

The victim wastransported to the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to be treated. During the course of the treatments and testing, the victim was found to have swelling to the scalp, a lacerated liver, bruising to her spleen and adrenal glands, and cervical ligament and vertebral injuries.

During the course of the investigation, detectives learned that Rashon Marshall (father of the victim) lives at 415 South 16th Street, 2nd floor rear apartment, with his girlfriend (mother of the victim). Rashon Marshall was babysitting the victim, while his girlfriend was at work on July 30, 2015. While babysitting the victim, Marshall physically assaulted the victim by striking the victim several times. As a result, the victim lost consciousness. Marshall performed CPR and called 911.

On August 5, 2015, a doctor from CHOP determined the injuries sustained by the victim are consistent of Physical Child Abuse/Non-Accidental Injuries and are life threatening.

On August 6, 2015, detectives obtained a warrant of arrest for Rashon Marshall for violation of Aggravated Assault, Simple Assault, and Endangering the Welfare of Children. The warrant was issued by Magisterial District Judge Michael J. Leonardziak. On August 6, 2015, at approximately 2:30 p.m., Marshall surrendered to detectives at our office. Bail was set at $100,000 and he was committed to Berks County Jail.