As a victim of a crime, you are entitled to some form of compensation for your losses or damages as a direct result of a criminal act. Listed below are ways you may be able to recover your losses:
Once criminal charges are filed, you will be provided with a restitution form by theDistrict Attorney's Office. At your request, a Victim/Witness Coordinator will be available toassist you in completing this form. To request assistance, call us at 610-478-6000 ore-mailus atVictimWitness@countyofberks.com.
Only expenses incured as a direct result of the crime are considered for restitution.
Expenses covered are:
- Medical bills
- Counseling fees
- Property damage
- Fair value of stolen items
- Lost wages
- Gas mileage for hearings
- Car rentals
- Money for "pain and suffering"
Restitution claims are processed as follows:
- Court decides and orders the restitution at the time of sentencing
- Enforcement of restitution payments is handled by the Adult Probation Office
- Collection and distribution of monies is handled by the Clerk of Courts Office
- To monitor payments, log onto public docket sheet.
Note: Indirect expenses may be pursued through civil litigation.
VICTIMS COMPENSATION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (VCAP)
This program administered by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The VCAP covers any unreimbursed:
-Loss of earnings
-Loss of Support
-Stolen Cash Benefit
-Crime Scene Clean-up
To determine whether you meet the eligibility requirements, ask one of our Victim/Witness Coordinators, call VCAP directly at 1-800-233-2339 or click here.
To open a claim:
-Call a Victim/Witness Coordinator at (610) 478-6000.