Welcome to the County of Berks
Financial Assistance


As a victim of a crime, you are entitled to some form of compensation for your losses or damages as a direct result of a criminal act. Listed below are ways you may be able to recover your losses:
Once criminal charges are filed, you will be provided with a restitution form by the District Attorney's Office. At your request, a Victim/Witness Coordinator will be available to assist you in completing this form. To request assistance, call us at 610-478-6000 or e-mail us at VictimWitness@countyofberks.com.
Only expenses incurred as a direct result of the crime are considered for restitution.
Expenses covered are:

- Medical bills

- Counseling fees

- Property damage

- Fair value of stolen items


Expenses NOT covered are:


- Lost wages

- Gas mileage for hearings

- Car rentals

- Money for "pain and suffering"


Restitution claims are processed as follows:

- Court decides and orders the restitution at the time of sentencing
- Enforcement of restitution payments is handled by the Adult Probation Office
 - Collection and distribution of monies is handled by the Clerk of Courts Office
- To monitor payments, log onto public docket sheet.
 Note: Indirect expenses may be pursued through civil litigation.
This program administered by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency. The VCAP covers any unreimbursed:
- Medical expenses
- Counseling fees
- Loss of earnings
- Loss of Support
- Stolen Cash Benefit
- Relocation Expenses
- Funeral expenses
-Crime Scene Clean-up
To determine whether you meet the eligibility requirements, ask one of our Victim/Witness Coordinators, call VCAP directly at 1-800-233-2339 or click here.
To open a claim:
-File on-line
-Call a Victim/Witness Coordinator at (610) 478-6000.
Contact Information

Phone: 610-478-6000
Fax: 610-478-6002
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.