VICTIM/WITNESS ASSISTANCE UNIT
The Victim/Witness Assistance Unit was established to assist victim and witnesses of crime and their immediate family members throughout the criminal justice system.
Our missionis toserve as advocates for the enforcement of fundamental rights of crime victims and promote the belief that all victims and witnesses deserve to be treated with dignity, compassion and respect throughout the judicial process.
Service to victims is one of our top priorities. Our services are provided free of charge. Servicios en Espanol disponible.
- Explanation of the Judicial System
- Case information and notification
- Accompaniment to all court proceedings
- Preparation for court testimony
- Secure Victim / Witness waiting room
- Assistance with written and oral victim impact statements and restitution forms
- Assistance with harassment / intimidation
- Court tours for children
- Assistance in filing claims with the Victim's Compensation Assistance Program (VCAP)
- Enrollment in the Release Notification Program and Victim Notification Program
- Referrals to community agencies