Strength & Agility Screening Program
All Correctional Officer applicants will be required to participate in a physical assessment screening program. Applicants will be notified of the testing date, time and location.
A portion of the physical assessment screening is conducted outside regardless of weather conditions. We encourage you to wear/bring suitable clothing, including an extra pair of shoes.
To assist you in preparing for the strength and agility test, this notification has been prepared to describe the six stations you will be required to complete.
Listed below is a brief description of each station and the appropriate requirement for completing each station:
- Unconscious Victim Drag: You will be required to drag a mannequin continuously for a distance of 90 feet.
- Response to Assist Call: You will be required to run a short distance, key yourself through two gated doors, maneuver around furnishings, and then key yourself through a third gated door.
- Perimeter Response: You will be required to complete a 1/4 mile track, approach a non-combative individual, and give verbal directions. You must then apply handcuffs to the wrists of the individual.
- Shuttle Run: You will be required to run a total of (6) - 50 yard legs, while identifying and returning assigned colored items.
- Stair Climb: You will be required to wear a 20lb vest while you run up and down a flight of stairs 2 1/2 times. You are not permitted to skip any steps or landings, and one foot must touch each step and landing on every pass. You are permitted to hold the handrail for balance.
- Unconscious Victim Support: You will be required to demonstrate that you have the physical ability to elevate a handing 125 lb. mannequin continuously for 1 minute.
Applicants who pass the physical testing will be invited to stay for written testing, which will last about 3 hours. The written testing will begin approximately 1/2 hour after the physical testing has concluded. During this 1/2 hour period, applicants are encouraged to rest and eat a snack or healthy lunch while waiting for the written testing to begin.