Strength & Agility Screening Program
All Correctional Officer Applicants will be required to participate in a physical assessment screening program. Applicants will be notified of the date, time and location of the testing date.
A portion of the physical assessment screening is conducted outside regardless of weather conditions. We encourage you to wear/bring suitable clothing, including an extra pair of shoes.
To assist you in preparing for the strength and agility test, this notification has been prepared to describe the six separate phases of the test.
Listed below is a brief description of each phase and the appropriate requirement for each.
- Unconscious Victim Drag: You will be required to drag a mannequin continuously for a distance of 90 feet.
- Response to Assist Call: You will be required to run a short distance, key yourself through two gated doors, maneuver around furnishings, and then key yourself through a third gated door.
- Perimeter Response: You will be required to complete a 1/4 mile track, approach a non-combative individual, and verbally direct him/her to "Turn around and cuff up". Then you must apply handcuffs to the wrists of the individual.
- Shuttle Run: You will be required to run a total of (6) - 50 yard legs, while identifying and returning assigned colored items.
- Stair Climb: You will be required to wear a 20lb vest while you run and down a flight of stairs 2 1/2 times, (a total of 100 steps). You are not permitted to skip any steps or landings, and one foot must touch each step and landing on every pass. You are permitted to hold the handrail for balance.
- Unconscious Victim Support: You will be required to demonstrate that you have the physical ability to elevate a handing 125 lb mannaquin continuously for 1 minute.
Applicants who pass the physical assessment test will be invited to stay for written testing, which will last about 3 hours.