Welcome to the County of Berks
Medical Assistance Transportation Program (MATP)

As a Medical Assistance consumer, you can get help with transportation services that you need, to get to and from your medical assistance providers. Some examples of medical assistance providers are doctors, dentist, pharmacies, psychologists, drug and alcohol treatment clinics, mental health outpatient clinics, and medical equipment suppliers.

MATP is funded by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services. In Berks County, MATP is run by the South Central Transit Authority formerly known as BARTA.

Who Is Eligible?

To be eligible for Medical Assistance Transportation you must:

  • have a current active ACCESS card
  • be a permanent or temporary resident of Berks County
  • need transportation to get a covered medical service from a provider who accepts the Medical Assistance card

You cannot use MATP services for emergency ambulance trips or for non-medical reasons. You also cannot use the MATP to obtain medical care that is not covered by Medical Assistance.

If you belong to a Medical Assistance Manage Care Organization (MCO), you can use MATP services to get to any provider within your Physical Health or Behavioral Health MCO network. If you do not belong to an MCO, you can use MATP to go to the nearest Medical Assistance provider who can meet your needs.

How to Register

If you want to use MATP services, you must register. Contact BARTA Special Services Division at (610) 921-2361, toll free at 1-800-383-2278, or TDD at (610) 921-1018. You must provide your active ACCESS card number to confirm eligibility for services. Eligible clients can receive assistance in one of three ways:

  • Mileage Reimbursement
  • Fixed Route Bus Service
  • ADA Paratransit Service

Pick-Up and Drop-Off Procedures

If you are using BARTA Special Services, you will be given an approximate time the driver will arrive. You must be ready a few minutes before your scheduled pick-up time. Drivers will wait at a residence for a period not to exceed five minutes from the scheduled time.

Sanction Information

You have the right to appeal a decision by asking for a fair hearing from the Department of Human Services.