County of Berks
Skip navigation links
Home
Berks County Departments
Municipalities
Police Departments
Fire Companies
Skip navigation links
Parks & Recreation Home
Antietam Lake Park
Berks County Parks
Calendar of Events
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Environmental Education
Festival & Special Events
Heritage Center
Industry Along the Creek
Interpretive & Outdoor Programs
Kid's Summer Series
Low-Mow Test Areas
Park Reservation Information
Resources for Teachers
Rules & Regulations
Stonecliffe Action Park
Parks Newsroom
Performing Arts in the Park
Volunteer Opportunities
Union Canal Towpath Trail
Berks County > County Departments > Parks and Recreation
Deppen Cemetery

Deppen Cemetery
Begun as a family burial ground, Deppen Cemetery was originally located a half-mile west of Mt. Pleasant, south of Pennsylvania Route 183. Known locally as "The Catholic Cemetery," it was moved to this spot by the Army Corps of Engineers' Philadelphia District during the summer of 1978 in connection with construction of Blue Marsh Lake on nearby Tulpehocken Creek. The first known burial took place in 1808, the last in 1915. An extensive search of the cemetery and vicinity revealed 68 graves, only 36 of which were identifiable. The others were unmarked and may have included the 20 to 30 Irish laborers who fell victim to "canal" or "swamp" fever while constructing the Union Canal during the 1820s. [From a plaque on the cemetery wall]
 
 PDF PDF Document  Deppen Cemetery Plot Layout (Note: This document requires the Adobe Acrobat plug-in. If you do not have it, it is available free from Adobe.)