|Jobs with the Parks Department
The following are brief job descriptions for seasonal positions with the Parks and Recreation department. Salaries range from $7.15 to $8.00. If you are interested in any of these, please call 610-374-8839 or 610-374-2944. Click here for Application.
SEASONAL RECREATION COORDINATORS
- FILLEDUnder the guidance of the Superintendent of Recreation, assists with events and programs presented by the department, May through August. Availability- Hours are flexible, must be available weekdays, weekends and weeknights. Must have excellent people skills, be enthusiastic, have a good work ethic, demonstrate good problem solving abilities, are creative, fun & energetic, and love to work with children. The ability to plan, implement and follow through with responsibilities is essential. Qualifications: Minimum 18 years of age. Available positions include:PROGRAM & ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR
- FILLED Assists with programs presented by the Department, as well as scheduling and leading “classroom” instruction to Municipal Playground programs. Applicants with an interest in outdoor recreation will be considered first. Schedules and leads Outdoor Education programs so as to increase the public's environmental awareness and concern for the conservations, preservations, and management of wildlife, plant communities, and open space; imparting “leave no trace” and outdoor skills. Must be detail oriented.
- FILLED Must have excellent written and oral communication skills. Assists the Marketing Coordinator with all marketing and publicity of Department events and programs. Compose press releases, public service announcements and feature stories; plan and implement special events and public relations/promotional campaigns; create advertising-related collateral materials. Assist with other marketing-related functions.
- Seasonal & Part-Time Year Round positions
Individual is responsible for checking and cleaning restrooms, registering tennis players, operating visitor information services, distributing brochures, checking park facilities, renting recreation equipment, and general attendant work in county parks and recreation areas. In some areas, the attendant will be responsible for concession and food sales and filling of vending machines, lining ball fields and placement of equipment (seasonal).
Summer attendants (Memorial Day through Labor Day) also assist with outdoor maintenance of all park facilities.
Work includes unlocking and locking facilities and some general maintenance duties such as litter pick-up, trash removal, weeding flower beds, sweeping walks and pavilions, and cleaning tables. Attendants are also responsible for picnic groups, meetings, wedding groups, and other special functions and events, interpreting general park rules and regulations, reservation of facilities, and assisting visitors.
Must enjoy working with the public in an outdoor setting. Must be available to work weekends, holidays and evenings. Transportation is necessary since some attendants will be responsible for more than one area. Individual must be in good health. Proper dress is required, and individual must possess a pleasant personality.
SKATE PARK ATTENDANT
Employees have the responsibility of overseeing the operation of the Stonecliffe Recreation Area. Duties include, but are not limited to: trash removal, safety inspections, conflict resolution, restroom cleaning, security, and grounds keeping activities.
Work hours for this position are from 4:00 p.m. until close (sunset) and weekends and holidays. A total of 990 hours per year has been budgeted for this position. Starting pay is $7.25/hr.
TOUR GUIDE/Interpretive Services Assistant
- Minimum Age Requirement: 16 years old through retirees
Tour guides support the Superintendent of Interpretive Services and work directly with the day to day operations of the Berks County Heritage Center. Their primary job is to lead tours of the Gruber Wagon Works and C. Hiester Canal Center, answer questions on the Heritage Center and Parks System. Cataloging of artifacts and work with archives and collections of the Park, operation of the snack bar and gift shop, and assistance with various related programs and events are all integral parts of this position.
Looking for individuals interested in or studying in areas of history, historical preservation, Library Sciences, research or education.
All individuals must enjoy working with the public. Must be available to work weekends, summer holidays and some evenings, May through October.
- Minimum Age Requirement: 17 years old or completion of 11th grade