1. Create Opportunities and Choices
Providing quality housing for people of all income levels is an integral component in any smart
2. Create Walkable Neighborhoods
Walkable communities are desirable places to live, work, learn, worship and play, and
therefore a key component of smart growth.
3. Encourage Community and Stakeholder Collaboration
Growth can create great places to live, work and play -- if it responds to a community's own
sense of how and where it wants to grow.
4. Foster Distinctive, Attractive Communities with a Strong Sense of Place
Smart growth encourages communities to craft a vision and set standards for development
and construction which responds to community values of architectural beauty and
distinctiveness, as well as expanded choices in housing and transportation.
5. Make Development Decisions Predictable, Fair and Cost Effective
For a community to be successful in implementing smart growth, it must be embraced by the
6. Mixed Land Uses
Smart growth supports the integration of mixed land uses into communities as a critical
component of achieving better places to live.
7. Preserve Open Space, Farmland, Natural Beauty and Critical Environmental Areas
Open space preservation supports smart growth goals by bolstering local economies,
preserving critical environmental areas, improving our communities' quality of life, and guiding
new growth into existing communities.
8. Provide a Variety of Transportation Choices
Providing people with more choices in housing, shopping, communities, and transportation is
a key aim of smart growth.
9. Strengthen and Direct Development Towards Existing Communities
Smart growth directs development towards existing communities already served by
infrastructure, seeking to utilize the resources that existing neighborhoods offer, and
conserve open space and irreplaceable natural resources on the urban fringe.
10. Take Advantage of Design
Smart growth provides a means for communities to incorporate more compact building design
as an alternative to conventional, land consumptive development.