To provide responsive, exceptional and ethical legal services in a cost-effective manner to the Board of Commissioners, County Departments, Elected Officials and the taxpayers of Berks County so that the County may achieve its policy and operational goals while advancing the public trust.
The Solicitor's Office acts as General Counsel to the County Commissioners and all County departments.
Under the County Code the duties of the Solicitor are to:
"commence and prosecute all suits brought, or to be brought, by the County, wherein any rights, privileges, property claim or demands of the County involved, as well as defend all actions or suits brought against the County, and shall perform all duties now enjoined by law upon county solicitors, and shall do all and every professional act and render legal advice incident to the office which may be required of him by the commissioners." 16 P.S. § 902
The Solicitor's duties include the following:
- Prepare and revise Ordinances and resolutions;
- Litigate legal actions and claims brought by or against the County;
- Draft and approve contracts, agreements, or other legal documents executed by authorized county officials;
- Coordinate and supervise all outside counsel.
The Solicitor's Office does not provide legal advice, legal counsel or legal services to the general public.
- Quality Legal Representation