February 16, 1924
A public meeting was held at Haag’s Hotel. The purpose of the meeting was to organize a Community Fire Company.
Rev. Frank Ruth of the Bernville Fire Company, James Prutzman, Harvey Bausher of the Union Fire Company of Hamburg, and Harry W. Anthony of the Strausstown Fire Company were the speakers who dwelled on the necessity of a fire company in the village of Shartlesville and the surrounding community and explained the best methods to successfully organize and conduct a fire company.
The enrollment of the members was started and 72 were enrolled by paying the membership fee of $1.00.
February 22, 1924
On this date the second meeting was held. The committee on Construction and By-Laws appointed at the first meeting gave their report.
Nomination and election of officers followed. The following were nominated and elected: President, Charles W. Scheidy; Vice-President, Frank Einsel; Secretary, Edgar S. Rentschler; Financial Secretary, Frank S. Henne; Treasure, Harry B. Wagner; Trustees, J. W. Balthaser, Dr. Robert L. Berger, and Daniel C. Stoudt; Fire Chief, Edwin M. Seyfert; Assistant Chief, Benjamin Good.
Weekly meetings were held until May 23, 1924. At this time it was decided to keep the fire company charter open until July 4, 1924.
September 5, 1924
The motion to purchase a new 350 gallon pumper was presented and voted upon favorably. Also a motion to buy the lot from A. J. Haag where the present Community Hall was built was voted upon favorably at this meeting.
November 7, 1924
A decision was reached to purchase a Hahn Pumper.
December 31, 1924
The report of the Trustees showed the accounts of the company for the year with a cash balance of $4,304,44.
April 3, 1925
Records show that $1,330.00 was paid to Hahn Truck Motor company, Hamburg, PA for the new pumper.
Trustees reported a shed could be bought from F. S. Schlappich to house the new apparatus. The property was bought, duly renovated with the second floor later used for meetings and the Upper Bern Township polling place.
June 5, 1925
A Relief Association had been organized by this time with 112 members.
December 3, 1926
It was decided to purchase a siren for the building housing the engine.
April 16, 1928
A special meeting was called to consider the building of a new hall for the Fire Company. By the time the meeting adjourned, a motion to build on the lot bought from A. J. Haag had been made, duly seconded and a ballot cast favorably.
May 2, 1929
The Shartlesville area was hit by a cyclone and the Fire Company suffered a heavy loss having the new hall blown to pieces. Work on the rebuilding began as soon as the rubble was cleared away.
November 1, 1946
It was decided to purchase a new piece of fire fighting equipment. Another Hahn pumper with a value of over $13,300 was purchased. The firemen of Shartlesville were anxious to have the most “up to date” and efficient apparatus for fire fighting.
The apparatus was housed. The fire company owned 2400 feet of hose at the time.
November 5, 1948
At the regular meeting of the Fire Company, it was reported the dam west of Shartlesville was completed and a supply of water for fire fighting was now on hand.
A motion was made to buy the Schlappich property adjoining the Fire Company parking lot. Trustees were authorized to buy. Settlement on the house was made on June 8, 1960.
A new apparatus was fund was started. It was decided in 1969 to purchase a new truck.
A new Chevrolet 750 GPM Hahn pumper was purchased for $27,000.
June 19, 1971
The new Chevrolet was housed.
August 14, 1971
After the housing of the new fire truck, the interest of the members were turned to repair and redecorating of the Fire Hall.
October 8, 1971
At a special meeting, the officers of the Fire Company were authorized to purchase a parcel of real estate adjoining their property on the west side (future site of the Engine House).
March 25, 1973
Ground Breaking ceremonies were held for the construction of a new engine house.
The new engine house was completed.
February 3, 1974
Open House was held for the new engine house. Despite poor weather, it was well attended by members and friends.
June 21-22, 1974
|The Fire Company celebrated their 50th anniversary along with an engine house dedication plus a Zone 2 parade in a 3 day celebration.
A new siren was purchased and installed on top of the Fire Hall.
The Fire Company purchased its first 3” supply hose
The first use of mobile pagers for dispatch.
August 1, 1982
We went online with Berks Radio for dispatch and radio purposes.
October 17, 1983
A motion to purchase a Hahn tanker-pumper was passed.
Delivery was taken of a new 1000 GPM, 1250 gallon tanker-pumper for $125,382
The Fire Company purchased its first 5” supply hose.
The Fire Company responded to our first Haz-Mat incident, on Interstate 78, which lasted for 23 hours. A portion of the village of Shartlesville was evacuated due to its close proximity to the incident.
Delivery was taken on a new 1996 Simon Duplex / Central States 1500GPM pumper for $226,000 from East Penn Fire and Emergency Sales and Service, Inc.
Delivery was taken on a new 1999 Mack / KME 1000 GPM 4200 gallon tanker.
Purchased first Thermal Imaging Camera.