History of the Community Fire Company of Virginville
The Community Fire Company of Virginville has a rich history dating back to as early as 1944. The history of the Community Fire Company of Virginville is as follows.
On December 19th, 1944 the citizens of the community met in Balthaser's Garage to organize a fire company. On December 26th, 1944 the fire company received its name, the Community Fire Company of Virginville, after it was voted on. On January 2, 1945 the first bylaws committee was appointed. On August 25th, 1945, the first company picnic was held. On November 13th, 1945, Howard Adam read the constitution that had been formulated for presentation to the Berks County Court. On February 12th, 1946, the company purchased a Dodge truck WFA32 1-1/2 ton chassis from Myers Balthaser for $1,670.05. On April 6th, 1946, the mid-ship two stage pump and the rest of the truck and equipment was received from W.S. Darley Company in Chicago, Illinois, for the cost of $2519.24 bringing the total cost for the company's first piece of apparatus to $4,189.29.
The Community Fire Company of Virginville's First Piece of Apparatus
On May 15th, 1946, the president of the company appointed Fred Schucker, Clarence Trexler, and George Lesher as the company's first fire police. Captain Schucker was then instructed to join the Berks County Fire Police Association. On June 4th, 1946, a fire hall was rented next to the hotel from Mr. Fred Bowers for $15 a month.
The company's first station next to the hotel.
On October 8th, 1946, a ladies auxiliary was organized. On May 13th, 1947, the constitution and bylaws of the company were adopted and prepared to be sent to the Berks County Court for approval and forwarded to the state for a charter. On November 11th, 1947, the company purchased an eight acre field from Harry Dreibelbis for $3,000. On February 8th, 1949 a 20'x40' building had been erected on the eight acre lot bought from Harry Dreibelbis. On December 13th, 1949, the company purchased three lots from John Trexler for $500. On August 12th, 1952, ground was broken to build a new fire hall. On December 31st, 1953, the company moved into the new fire hall, the company's second station.
The company's second station.
On December 11th, 1956, the Hamburg Savings mortgage of $15,000 dollars was paid in full. On October 8th, 1963, the members of the company directed an extension be constructed for the fire truck use building to be 24'x40' at an estimated cost of $4,150. On November 12th, 1963, the company purchased a tank truck for $400 and needed alterations estimated at $2,953.40. On November 10th, 1964, a fire destroyed the Dreibelbis & Son store with an estimated loss of $25,000. On February 27th, 1968, the company purchased a house siren from Berks County Civil Defense for $1350. On July 9th, 1968, the company purchased radios and equipment from Reading Fire Equipment for $738.12. On August 8th, 1972, the new truck committee was authorized to spend approximately $7500 for a new 1973 C-800 Dodge Truck cab and chassis. On January 12th, 1974, the company decided to purchase a new 1974 C-800 Dodge cab and chassis at a special meeting. On December 23rd, 1974, the company decided to pay Balthaser Motors Inc. $9,752.00 for a new cab and chassis.
1974 Dodge Tanker
On May 13th, 1975, the company purchased a new truck from Hahn Motors for $22,000.
1976 Dodge Hahn Engine
On October 15th, 1976, the ladies auxiliary held their 30 year anniversary banquet at the Kutztown Fire Company. On June 14th, 1977, the company paid Harvey D. George $8,176.12 towards a contract for a new engine room. On August 20th, 1977, a picnic, dedication ceremony, and parade were held for the new engine room. On October 13th, 1981, the company received a donation of $5000 from the ladies auxiliary. On May 11th, 1982, the company purchased a pump from the Shoemakersville Fire Company for the tanker for $1290. On December 14th, 1982, the company paid Harvey D. George $3,599.63 to rebuild the hall because of snow damage. The damage consisted of the roof being cracked and a wall caved in. In 1986, the Virginville Grange and the company installed a drafting site to retain water behind the fire station for fires in the Virginville area. In 1990, a four bay engine room with dimensions of 64'x70' was added on to the hall for a cost of $88,751. On July 10th, 1990, a telesquirt was purchased from Watertown New York for $75,000.
On January 14th, 1991, the purchase of a brush truck from Newtown Square was discussed. On February 12th, 1991, a motion to bid $3001.00 for the brush truck from Newtown Square carried. In 1997, the company purchased a new Ferrara engine with a 1250 gallons per minute pump and 1,000 gallon water tank for $175,000.
1997 Ferrara Engine
In 1999, the company received a 1984 International tanker from the Pennsylvania Department of Forestry. The cost of refurbishing the truck was $13,500. The refurbishing was done by John Hill Machine Shop and the painting and lettering was done by John Bond. In 2000, the company purchased a 1984 Ford rescue truck from the Kutztown Fire Company at a cost of $30,000. The rescue equipment for the truck cost the company another $45,000.
1984 Ford Schwab Rescue Truck
In 2002 the company bought a refurbished 1975 LTI 75 foot ladder truck at a cost of $120,000.
1984 LTI 75 Foot Ladder Truck
In June of 2002, the company received a donation from the Virginville Grange of $3,092 to purchase an AED defibulator. Prior to 1988 the fire company was responding to less than 50 calls per year.