Brecknock Logo
Skip navigation links
About Brecknock Twp.
Calendar Events
Parks and Recreation

Taxes and Permits
Berks County > Municipalities > Brecknock Township


Susan M. Summers, Tax Collector
889 Alleghenyville Rd., Mohnton, PA  19540
Telephone:  610-914-5546

The tax collector, who is elected for a four-year term, collects real estate and per capita taxes for the County of Berks and the Governor Mifflin School District.  Office hours are indicated on the tax billings.



  • ½% Earned Income 
    ½%  Realty Transfer 
  • 10% Amusement 
  • 2.325 mil. Real Estate
    • Breakdown:
    • 1.5 mil. General Purposes
    • .5 mil. Fire Protection 
    • .125  Road Equipment Capital Fund
    • .2 mil. Ambulance Service 

County: 7.372 Real Estate  

  • 26.6 mil. Real Estate
  • $10.00 Per Capita
  • ½%  Earned Income
  • ½% Realty Transfer
  • $10.00 Occupational Privilege
  • $10.00 Occupational Assessment


There are a few different types of permits required in the Township.  Besides building a new house, permits are required for projects such as:  swimming pools (in-ground or above ground), accessory storage buildings, additions, garages, carports, signs, porches, decks, etc.  These projects require a permit before the work begins.  Certain constraints and property setbacks apply to these permits.  There are other types of permits such as the Well Permit, Driveway Permit, Groundwater Infiltration System Permit, and Occupancy/Use Permits to name a few.  An Occupancy/Use Permit is required to move into or occupy any structure within the Township.  Construction of and/or resurfacing of a driveway requires a Driveway Permit.  These permits are issued by the Zoning Officer.  A PennDOT permit is also required for a driveway entrance to a state road.

To obtain a building permit for a new home or addition:

  1. Contact the Township Sewage Enforcement Officer for assistance with soil testing and issuance of a Sewage Permit if applicable.
  2. Obtain approval from the Berks County Conservation District for sediment and erosion control measures for earthmoving on the lot.  Applications are available from the Conservation District or Township office.
  3. For new driveways, obtain a Driveway Permit from PennDOT if the driveway has access to a state road.  A Township Driveway Permit is needed for both access to a Township road and access to a state road.  The Township Driveway Permit is issued by the Zoning Officer.
  4. Contact the Zoning Officer with application information for the required permits.  You must also present evidence that you have obtained a Sewage Permit, approval of your sediment and erosion control plan, and a PennDOT Driveway Permit if applicable.
  5. You must obtain a Building Permit from the Uniform Construction Code Officer by submitting an application and 2 sets of plans to the Township office after you have obtained your Zoning permit.
  6. Use and Occupancy Permits are required before you can use the structure defined on the permits.  These permits are obtained from the Zoning Officer and Building Code Official.

Click on the below links for additional permit applications: