The Borough of Centerport is located in a rural setting surrounded by Centre Township, and is approximately twelve miles northwest of the City of Reading. Centerport Borough is the third smallest Borough in Berks County, with a current population of 443 residents.
The Borough was incorporated on February 4, 1884. In 1884, the first Council meeting was held at the William H. Haag residence. For many years after, the monthly meetings were held in the Central Berks Lions building, which is the former Patriotic Order Sons of America Hall. In 1991, the current Borough Hall was constructed on Callowhill Street, adjacent to the Borough’s Basketball Court, and directly across the street from the Central Berks Fire Company.
Today there are several businesses, and organizations that are well established in the Borough, such as, a Computer Business; Fire Company; Funeral Home; Hair Salon; Hotel; Post Office; Restaurant; Sewer Plant; Sunday School; and a Vehicle Repair Garage.
Although small, Borough Council strives to provide limited services for their residents. Due to lack of income and funding to house their own equipment, Borough Council utilizes a sub-contractor for all Winter Services. The Pennsylvania State Police are also relied upon for all Police matters.
For the past several years Council’s focus has been to construct the Centerport Borough Recreation Area, funded through various grants. The three acre property that was obtained through a subdivision provides a multi-purpose field; playground equipment; and a walking trail, for all residents. The installation of the one quarter mile walking trail seems to be the highlight for many residents who enjoy a walk in the country.