TAX INFORMATION 2012
DOUGLASS TOWNSHIP and BERKS COUNTY REAL ESTATE TAXES
- The current tax rate for Douglass Township is 2 mills. This has not been increased since 2000.
- The current tax rate for the Berks County is 6.935 mills.
- Township and County Real Estate Taxes are billed and mailed on March 1st of each year.
- If taxes are paid prior to May 1st, the discount rate applies (2%)
- If taxes are paid between May 1st and June 30th, the flat rate applies.
- Taxes paid after June 30th includes a ten percent (10%) penalty.
SCHOOL DISTRICT REAL ESTATE TAXES
- The current school tax rate is 21.85 mills.
- School District Taxes are billed and mailed on July 1st of each year.
- If taxes are paid prior to September 1st, the discount rate applies (2%).
- If taxes are paid between September 1st and October 31st, the flat rate applies.
- Taxes paid after October 31st includes a ten percent (10%) penalty.
Real Estate Taxes not paid by January 1st of the following year are turned over to the Berks County Tax Claim Bureau for collection. Additional costs are applied at that time.
PER CAPITA TAXES: $15.00. The Township collects a $5.00 per year tax, and the School District collects a $ 10.00 per year tax on all residents 19 years of age and older. This tax is billed and mailed on July 1st, along with the School Taxes. Both the School and Township Per Capita Tax are on one bill. The same discount, flat and penalty periods as listed above apply.
EARNED INCOME TAX: If you live in Douglass Township and are employed either in the Township or outside the Township, you will pay a one percent (1%) Earned Income Tax on your wages. This tax is collected and maintained by the Earned Income Tax Office in Boyertown and is divided between the School District and the Township equally. This tax is not administered in any way by the elected Tax Collector.
LOCAL SERVICES TAX: This tax is $52. per year and is paid by anyone who works in Douglass Township. The Boyertown School District is paid $5 per year, and the balance of $47 is paid to the Township. This tax is withheld from individual pay checks at the rate of $1 per week.
HOW MUCH PROPERTY TAX WILL I PAY?
Current Tax Rates:
Breakdown of Taxes on a house assessed at $100,000.00
Douglass Township 2.0 mils
Berks County 6.935 mils
School District 21.85 mils
Total Tax Millage 30.78 mils
|Total Taxes $3,078.50|
Multiply your total assessed value by .03078 This gives you the total annual tax for all three government units.
Note: While the County and the Township set their tax rates prior to January 1st of each year, the School District does not set its tax rate until June of the tax year. The above rates are based on the latest available information at this time.
This is for your information only, and is not to be used to pay any taxes due.