Earl Township
Skip navigation links
About Us
Local Government
Berks County website
Skip navigation links
Boards & Committees
Parks & Recreation
Emergency Services
Fire Department
Planning & Zoning
Road Services
Tax, Permits & Fees
Trash & Recycling
Water & Sewer
Berks County > Municipalities > Earl Township


  During the last couple of years, we’ve experienced snow storms and a hurricane that all pretty well resulted in the same situation… long term power failures. As I mentioned in previous newsletters, there’s little the Township can do to make Met Ed respond any differently than they have. There are, however, a few things the Township and Fire Company can do to help make the situation a little more bearable. During the last two storms, the Fire Company kept their building open 24/7 so people could use the bathrooms, keep warm, charge their cell phone batteries, etc. The Township building was also available during the day for the same purpose. Because the County usually opens at least one shelter, food and sleeping facilities are not available at the fi re house or Township building. The Fire Company also will be glad to use their trucks to fill your bathtubs so you have water to flush your toilets. The service restoral process is completely within Met Ed’s control, but if you have a health emergency requiring electricity, we can communicate that to Met Ed through Berks DES. If Met Ed can’t restore power quickly enough to mitigate the problem, we will evacuate the person to a place where services can be provided and the individual kept safe.If you have a problem other than simply no electric, don’t hesitate to call me at 610-451-3901. I’ll do whatever I can to help and I know the Fire Company will also.

  There is one other thing I would like to mention. Damage Assessment is an extremely important component to disaster response and recovery. Turning damage reports over to the County (and ultimately to PEMA and FEMA) helps get the County included in any request for a disaster declaration. This could mean government aid in recovering from your damages. It’s my responsibility to fill out the paper work and forward it to the County, and I’ll be glad to do it. The problem is, all damage isn’t visible from the road, and we have more than a few residents who are sensitive about people coming on their property. If we have reason to think there may be a life safety issue, we’ll probably check out the property anyway. I’d rather have you tell me to go away than have you trapped and in need of help and no one checks. Otherwise, I will be relying on you to let me know if you have damage. I’ll be over promptly to fill out the paperwork. Again, my phone number is 610-451-3901.

  I haven’t heard from anyone in a couple of years who identified themselves or a family member to us as a “special needs” person.  Remember, “special needs” is anyone with hearing problems who may not be able to hear an alert, people with physical disabilities who may not be able to evacuate the area if necessary, or people (including children) who may be home without transportation and can’t leave the area if necessary. If you or a friend or family member fit the above description, you need to let us know so we can be prepared to help them in the event of an emergency. This information will be kept strictly confi dential and only be given to staff or emergency workers on a “need to know” basis. Again, my phone number is 610-451-3901.

— John Hetrick, Emergency Management Coordinator