Each year, the Public Works Department collects and recycles approximately 1.2 to 1.4 million tons of leaves from late October until early December. In order to help us better serve you during this busy time, please observe these important points:
- Park off the street as often as possible.
- Rake leaves to the edge of your property that meets the street. Crews will not enter onto your property for collection. The pile may extend the length of your property.
- Do not mix tree branches, brush, or other debris such as trash and dog dirt with the leaves. This practice endangers employee’s safety and could also result in costly equipment damage.
- Branches and brush may be disposed of at the Township’s recycling center located just off the Route 61 intersection on Reading Crest Avenue. The recycling center is open on the first and third Saturday of each month from 9 AM until 12 noon through November. Proof of residency such as a driver’s license or tax bill is required. Branches and brush may also be disposed of in your trash if you bundle them in no more than four-foot lengths or place them in an approved container.
- Avoid placing leaves on any storm water basins. This will cause the basins to not work properly and may cause flooding.
- Do not place leaves in your trash. Trash mixed with leaves will not be picked up.
- Be patient. Ideally the crew can pass in front of each home once every week to 10 days, but this schedule will be affected by adverse weather and the amount of leaves falling.
*Please note, the schedule is a general outline and can change at anytime based on weather, manpower, equipment, etc.
Download the Leaf Collection street zone listing