History of Richmond Township
The area now known as Richmond Township was first settled sometime around 1740. The Township was incorporated in 1752.
There are several places within the Township that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Joel Dreibelbis Farm, ca. 1860s. At the time the farm was listed on the registry, little had changed from its early roots as a Pennsylvania German family farm. The complex includes many historic structures including a Federal-style farmhouse, summer kitchen, smokehouse, ice house and bank barn and other outbuildings. The property also includes an abandoned limestone quarry and abandoned railroad bed and bridge.
- Merkel Mill Complex, ca. 1767. This complex is an example of a mill that was part of a family farm. The property includes a stone mill, stone Georgian-style house, stone and frame barn, smokehouse, summer kitchen, privy, as well as the mill races, dam and pond. The mill was built as part of a working farm although it ceased operation in 1939.
- Moselem Farms Mill, ca. 1860. This 2 1/2 story structure includes a basement and is a banked brick structure on a stone foundation. The merchant mill was part of an iron furnace complex and was erected during a growth and revitalization of the mill business in Berks County.
Moselem Farms Mill
- Christian Schlegel Farm, ca. 1789. This farm began as a diverse operation and changed to dairy in the early 20th century. The complex includes stone farm house and summer kitchen, brick schoolhouse, frame bank barn along with other outbuildings including a milkhouse and smokehouse. There is also a family cemetery located on the property.
- Virginville Historic District, ca. 1874. This district includes approximately 80 residential, commercial and institutional buildings erected between 1874 and 1930. Architectural styles vary and include Queen Anne, Gothic Revival and Italianate. Notable buildings include The Creamery (ca. 1875), St. Paul's Chapel (1903), Virginville Hotel (1885), post office (ca. 1930), and Balthasar's Garage (1921).