Permits are needed for:
- new residential construction
- agricultural buildings **
- sheds (portable or permanent)
- pools (temporary / permanent)
- pole buildings
- patio / porch / deck roof or awning
- upgrade / replacement / new electric service
- home-based business
- various remodeling projects
- roofing replacement
Permits are NOT required for:
- siding (installation / replacement)
- replacement windows (if not changing opening sizes)
Zoning Permit- A zoning permit is needed when any type of construction is planned, or for an in-home business. Fees are due and payable to Upper Tulpehocken Township when the application is submitted. Fees are based on cost of construction and are listed on the application.
**Please note that in most cases a Building Permit is also required.
Building Permit++ The Uniform Construction Code (UCC) dictates that a building permit is needed for any construction activities. Several inspections are required during the building process to ensure compliance with the UCC. No fee is due at the time of application.
Sewage Permits are issued by the Sewage Enforcement Officer Brian McFeaters. Mr. McFeaters can be reached at 717-813-6492. Mr. McFeaters also coordinates the perc and probe testing for lots.
After approved testing, an independent septic design would need to be submitted before a sewage permit can be issued. A Sewage permit must be issued prior to the issuance of a permit for residential new construction.
- Driveway permits are required for new driveways and for resurfacing of an existing driveway at a flat cost of $25.00.
If the driveway is to enter a state roadway, a state permit is needed as well. State permits can be obtained by contacting PennDOT at 610-929-0766.
Subdivision & Land Development Forms
Fees are due and payable to Upper Tulpehocken Township when the application is submitted.
- Must be completed and signed by township resident for investigation to commence.
**Agricultural buildings require a zoning permit, and possibly an electric permit.