From the time the Borough was incorporated, it has continually thought about it's future. Other civic developments here and abroad were studied. The Borough also continued to grow. Between 1906 and the 1940's several additional tracts of land were annexed to the Borough from both Spring and Cumru Townships. However 1949-1950 saw the largest annexation, in the addition of the area north of the railroad tracts known as Berkshire Heights. This drastically changed the Borough map
From that point forward, the Borough has changed from farmland to a large residential and commercial community. The last farmland worked in the Borough was part of the Hartman Farm along Van Reed Road. This land was sold into commercial development in the early 1990's. A section of that land includes the shopping center where JoAnn Fabrics, Old Navy and Toys-R-Us are located.