Wyomissing Borough
Skip navigation links
Home
About Wyomissing
Employment
Skip navigation links
LibrariesExpand Libraries
The Citizen Fall 2014/Winter 2015
2015 FEE SCHEDULE
2015 TALKING TRASH NEWSLETTER
2014 Recreation Guide
2013 Water Quality Report
2012 ANNUAL BOROUGH REPORT
Proposed Flood Plain Mapping
Borough InformationExpand Borough Information
Building & Zoning Information & Applications
Business Privilege License Information & Forms
Emergency Management
Emergency Medical Services
Fire DepartmentExpand Fire Department
Library
Open Records Policy
Parks & RecreationExpand Parks & Recreation
Police DepartmentExpand Police Department
Public Works
Schools
Refuse & RecyclingExpand Refuse & Recycling
CodeRED Information
Utility Payment Options
Utility Bill History & Payment
Police Department History
Berks County > Municipalities > Wyomissing Borough

 
 

Wyomissing Police Chiefs 
James Ely
1914 - 1924
Dutch Griffith
1924 - 1935
Benjamin Widson
1935 - 1946
Raymond E. Dissinger  
1946 - 1959
Jacob L. Weber
1959 - 1974
David Y. Bausher
1974 - 1991
Donald G. Hoshauer
1991 - 1996
Jeffrey R. Biehl
1996 - Present
 
The Wyomissing Police Department has always had at least one full-time patrolman since the department's inception around the year 1914.  There was a "constable" and a "high constable".  James Ely, a former state hghway patrolman, was the first Chief of Police.  "Dutch" Griffith became Police Chief in 1924 and on March 17, 1928 the police force added a fourth man, Ray Dissinger.  During 1929, there were 2 full-time officers and 6 part-time officers and 24 hour service had been established.
 
In 1932, the force was increased to 4 full-time patrolmen, followed in 1936 by the 5th.  1936 also saw one of the worst incidents in the history of the Borough.  A wild and violent strike at the Berkshire Knitting Mills resulted in major property damage and 1 death.  Several surrounding communities lent assistance to the Wyomissing Police as well as the Pennsylvania State Police, Mounted Unit.
 
Police Chief Raymond Dissinger talks to Patrolman Jacob L. Weber who is seated in the 1953 Ford police car.  This photograph was taken on Wyomissing Boulevard near Penn Avenue.  1953 Patrol Car
 
All part-time officers were dropped after World War II, and the force was increased to 6 men in 1955.  December, 1957 saw the 6th officer added.  Up until 1958, the Borough utilized one patrol car.  That year a used car was purchased and used on a limited basis as a 2nd car. 
 
 
Police Force - 1960
 
POLICE FORCE - 1960
1st row (L-R) - Patrolman David Y. Bausher, Police Chief Jacob Weber, Patrolman Harry Bare.
2nd row (L-R): Patrolman Richard Zepiora, Patrolman Douglas Filbert, Patrolman Robert Angstadt, Sgt. E.J. "Red" Eyrich
 
 
Starting in 1963, the department made full use of the 2nd car, and in 1971 purchased the 3rd patrol car.  In 1968, the seventh officer was added. 
 
In anticipation of the opening of the "new" Berkshire Mall in 1970, the size of the force was increased to 10. 
 
1972
 

 

POLICE FORCE - 1972
(L-R) - Sgt. David Y. Bausher, Patrolman Richard Zepiora, Patrolman Thomas Moll, Patrolman Donald Hoshauer, Patrolman Grant Goeltz, Patrolman Kent Quinter, Patrolman Robert Baum, Patrolman Lawrence Hummel, Patrolman John Lee, Police Chief Jacob Weber
 
 
Passing the torch... 
In 1974, then Police Chief Jacob Weber (right) retired, and David Y. Bausher was promoted to Chief, a position he held for 17 years. He is still the longest serving chief in the department's history.
 
 
 
As years went by the force grew to 14 by the year 1986.