Drug Organization Dismantled
SUSPECTS: Luis Madera-Pacheco aka “Papo” (52 years of age)
343 South 7th St., Reading, PA
Jose Torres-Rodriguez aka “Viejo” (65 years of age)
450 South 7th St., Reading, PA
CHARGES: Possession with intent to deliver heroin and cocaine
Possession of heroin and cocaine
Luis Madera-Pacheco Jose Torres-Rodriguez
Detectives from the Berks County District Attorney’s Office have dismantled a large-scale illegal drug distribution network headquartered in the south side of the City of Reading. The organization peddled street-level quantities of heroin, fentanyl and cocaine from several homes in the 300 and 400 blocks of South 7th Street and surrounding neighborhood. The organization utilized numerous sites within their territory as stash houses, points of sales and means to launder proceeds.
The investigation began in July 2019 and culminated on November 19, 2020 when Berks County Detectives obtained several search warrants that were issued by Magisterial District Judge Stuart Kennedy to raid the following homes that were utilized by the organization: 343 S. 7th Street, 419 S. 7th Street, 423 S. 7th Street and 450 S. 7th Street. Detectives arrested the alleged leader of the organization, Luis Pacheco, and his main underling, Jose Antonio Torres-Rodriguez, while serving the search warrant at 343 S. 7th Street.
The following was seized during the raids:
343 S. 7th Street:
• Approximately $47,000.00 in U.S. currency
• Bulk quantity of cocaine with an estimated street value of up to $30,000
• Approximately 2.5 lbs. of marijuana, both in bulk and packaged for sale
• Excess of 200 packets of heroin packaged for sale, with an estimated street value of up to $1,000
• Packaging, processing equipment and suspected cutting agents
• Scales, sandwich bags and a blender
• Glock 9mm handgun
• Counter surveillance cameras
• Numerous cellular phones
419 S. 7th Street:
• 1,936 packets of heroin, with an estimated street value of up to $9,680
• 6 bags of cocaine, with an estimated street value $120
423 S. 7th Street:
• Approximately 6,000 packets of heroin, with an estimated potential street value $30,000
• Approximately $114,000.00 in U.S. currency
• Two (2) AR style assault rifles
• Bulk quantity of cutting agent
450 S. 7th Street:
• Documents pertaining to the member(s) of the organization
• Documents pertaining to approximately $87,000.00 in funds from a bank account associated with Luis Madera-Pacheco
The defendants were preliminary arraigned before Magisterial District Judge Gail Greth. Bail was set at $1,000,000 for each defendant. Subsequently, they were committed to Berks County Jail.
Berks County Detectives were assisted in the investigation by Troopers from the Pennsylvania State Police, members of the Berks County Drug Task Force, and Officers from the City of Reading Police Department.
As in every criminal case, the fact that an arrest occurred or a complaint has been filed is merely an accusation, and the defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.
“The opioid crisis is an epidemic amid a pandemic and cannot be ignored. We will continue our efforts to stamp out the sources that are contributing to the scourge in our community.” - District Attorney John T. Adams