Edwin Ortiz (35 years of age)
659 Gordon Street
Reading, PA 19601
- Possession with Intent to Deliver – Cocaine
- Possession – Cocaine
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
DETAILS OF INCIDENT:
In late June of 2021, the Berks County District Attorney’s Drug Task Force initiated a drug trafficking investigation in the 600 block of Gordon Street, Reading, Berks County, Pennsylvania.
During the investigation, detectives learned that Edwin Ortiz of 659 Gordon Street made cocaine transactions from his residence.
On Thursday, July 22, 2021, detectives obtained a search warrant for 659 Gordon Street. The search warrant was issued by District Judge Carissa Johnson.
On Friday, July 23, 2021, at approximately 6:31 a.m., detectives served the search warrant and apprehended Edwin Ortiz inside of 659 Gordon Street, Reading, without incident.
The following items were seized from the residence:
1. Eight semi-automatic handguns
2. One semi-automatic AR-15 rifle
3. A stock of ammunition
4. Miscellaneous packaging material and related drug paraphernalia associated with distribution
5. Bulk quantity of crack cocaine
6. Bulk quantity of cocaine
7. Seventy-four baggies containing crack cocaine
8. $10,331.00 United States currency believed to be the proceeds from the sales of cocaine
Detectives estimated the street value of the seized cocaine at $25,000.00.
On Friday, July 23, 2021, Edwin Ortiz was transported to the Berks County Sheriff’s Department Central Processing Center, where he was arraigned. Bail was set at $50,000 in which he posted and he remains free awaiting further action.
As in every criminal case, the fact that an arrest occurred, or a complaint has been filed is merely an accusation and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.