EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE, THERE WILL BE NO "IN PERSON" MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATIONS IN THE BERKS REGISTER OF WILLS OFFICE. WE HAVE ESTABLISHED A VIDEO CONFERENCING PROCESS FOR VIRTUAL MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATIONS, WITH PRIORITY GIVEN TO BERKS COUNTY RESIDENTS, BEFORE THE CLERK OF ORPHANS' COURT AS AUTHORIZED BY THE COURT.
DUE TO THE HIGHER THAN USUAL VOLUME OF REQUESTS AND LIMITED STAFFING, WE ARE ONLY SCHEDULING VIRTUAL MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION APPOINTMENTS WITHIN 45 DAYS OF THE DATE OF YOUR PLANNED WEDDING. YOU MUST HAVE AN OFFICIANT CONFIRMED TO PERFORM YOU MARRIAGE OR WE WILL NOT SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT.
- In order to proceed by Video Conferencing the following SHALL occur in advance of scheduling a VIRTUAL MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION:
- Your application must be initiated on-line by navigating to the Marriage License Link on our webpage and clicking on “Marriage License Application” in the drop down menu.
- You will then click on the Register of Wills/Orphans’ Court Online Service.
- Click on the “Log in as Guest” button.
- On the next page click “Accept.”
- Click “e-File Marriage Application.”
- Read the instructions, then click on “Continue.”
- Enter the information for each box, as appropriate, for each applicant.
- When application is complete, and you have proofread your information to make sure it is correct, Click “Submit” and make a note of your Transaction Number. We will need it to access your application in our system.
- Call our office at (610) 478-6617 Monday through Friday between 8:30am to 4:00pm, or email us at email@example.com to schedule your video conference appointment.
- Video conferences will be completed through Zoom or FaceTime only. BOTH APPLICANTS MUST BE PHYSICALLY LOCATED IN THE SAME PLACE AT THE TIME OF THE VIDEO CONFERENCE.
- The Clerk or Deputy must be able to see both applicants sign the application and take the oaths.
- Payment will be by credit card (Visa/Mastercard only). A receipt will be mailed to you with the Marriage License. The fee is $55.00.
- At the time of the Video Conference, you will need to provide valid photo ID for both applicants. If you were previously married, you will need to provide us with proof of divorce. If the marriage ended as a result of a spouse’s death, an original death certificate must be presented for us to see it on camera. If you are not a citizen of the US, you must provide us proof that you have obtained a notarized statement saying you were not married in your country of origin. You will need to submit that affidavit to us when you pick up your license.
- Remember, there is a 3 day waiting period before the license is valid. Do not attempt to get married before the license is valid. Your license will be good for 60 days and can be used anywhere in Pennsylvania. There will be no extensions if you apply and do not use the license within the 60 day period the license is valid. If your wedding is not scheduled during this 60 day period, please delay applying for your license until the appropriate time.