EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY AND FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE, THERE WILL BE NO "IN PERSON PROBATES" IN THE BERKS REGISTER OF WILLS OFFICE.
VIDEO CONFERENCING PROCESS FOR VIRTUAL PROBATE PROCEEDINGS BEFORE THE REGISTER AS AUTHORIZED BY EMERGENCY ORDER OF THE PA SUPREME COURT.
- In order to proceed by Video Conferencing the following documents SHALL be transmitted electronically, or the originals placed in the drop box located in the Services Center Lobby, IN ADVANCE OF SCHEDULING A VIRTUAL PROBATE PROCEEDING:
- Copy of the decedent's Will when one exists, completed probate petition as well as any other documents necessary to proceed to open the estate
- Copy of Death Certificate
- Photo ID of those taking oaths
- Attorney must be present with clients at the remote location, or by electronic means. Counsel will provide clients with any documents to be executed.
- Register or Deputy must be able to see personal representative and any witnesses actually sign the petition and oaths.
- For ALL PRO SE ESTATES, anyone wishing to probate shall follow the same process as noted in #1. Payment of all fees will be by credit card only.
- No additional fee will be associated with this service during the course of the declared emergency.
- The attorney or pro se individual is responsible for scheduling the video conference with the Register of Wills Office by calling (610) 478-6600. Please email if there is no answer. Documents and all requests shall be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teleconference will take place via FaceTime, Skype or Zoom. Manner will be determined at the time attorney schedules the Virtual Probate.
- Original documents and payment for Probate Fees shall be mailed to the Register's Office, or attorney may utilize the drop box in the Services Center Lobby accessed at the revolving door. After a full review of the physical documents, assuming all are in order, Letters, Shorts and associated documents will be issued and mailed to the attorney.